The Charles Deam Forest Stewardship award recognizes Indiana woodland owners who have demonstrated exceptional management of their woodlands. It is sponsored by IFWOA.
Please note 2015 changes to the Charles Deam award process – now anyone can nominate a landowner for this award.
Any private landowner possessing 10 acres or more of woodland property within the state of Indiana and who has owned said property for no less than one full year is eligible. The owner must have a written forest management plan that has been approved by a professional forester. Current board members of IFWOA and IFEF or state winners in the last 5 years are not eligible. A finalist is selected from each of the five IFWOA areas (Area Map) and a judging team visits the finalists properties to determine the state winner. Area finalists, the state winner, and their foresters will be recognized at the IFWOA annual meeting banquet.
Nominations can be made by any person or organization. The nominator should contact the landowner for permission before making the nomination and provide basic contact information for the landowner. A landowner may nominate himself for the award. Nominations are closed for 2015.
Past Deam Award Winners
- 2014: Ray Acres Family Farm
- 2013: Our Oak Grove Farm, Warren Baird & Family, Everett & Phyllis Ballentine (co-winners)
- 2012: Mark Hildebrand
- 2011: Dean Baker, Baker Forest Company
- 2010: Carl & Barbara Diehl
- 2009: Alan & Rosemary Bolenbaugh
- 2008: Mark Dunn
- 2007: Gary & Judith Dillon
- 2006: William & June Irwin
- 2005: Robert & Betty Miller
- 2004: Lenna Sheets Ransburg
- 2003: Al & Ida Meyer
- 2002: Art Bowman, Woody & Ann Barton
- 2001: Wayne & Betty Bessinger
- 2000: Lowell and Kim Miller, Don Etienne & Family
- 1999: Cornelius & Sandra Collignon
- 1998: Aloysius & Aggie Uebelhor
- 1997: Dr. & Mrs. Douglas Wier
- 1996: Dr. Allen Butler
- 1995: Dr. George & Dorothy Parker
- 1994: Hubert & Ester Raver
- 1993: Archie & Blance Burnett
- 1992: Robert Kern